Sunday, June 21, 2009

Parla Inglese?




Greetings from Roma!

Today marked the first actual day in Rome. Yesterday was all travels--I was really impressed by Lufthansa. I'd recommend flying direct to Frankfurt if you're coming to Europe. With the three movies I watched the flight seemed so much shorter than the other flights I've taken to Europe.

When we drove into the city we drove past the Colloseum and I just about died. It is amazing and huge and in the center of the city. I just can't believe how intact the arches still are. Despite the crazy tourist crowds, I can't wait to go back.

All and all real good--hard part was trying to stay awake until nine to get back on the right time.

This morning I woke up at like 630--still partially on Seattle time--and ate breakyfast. After reading a bit Alison, Melanie, and I went to the Thermae di Caracalla--the ancient ruins of the baths from 217 A.D. I'm doing my project on them and I wanted to check it out and get some good pictures before hand. (Some are here if you're clever)


They were amazing. Ruins of baths honestly, sounds kinda lame but you can't believe how dwarfing the ruins were. Remains of old pillars and tiles are still everywhere. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah. So great.

We walked to the Campo and stopped for lunch at this little place in an alley. Not bad food, but not quite the "off the beaten path" we were looking for. We found the portone or door to the Rome Center in the Campo. It's just this giant gratified door, very conspicuous. In the day the Campo is a big market but as it is Sunday the market wasn't there. Looking forward to seeing it tomorrow and buying lots of fruit like a good Iranian.

After a bit of a nap--ie 3 hrs--a group of 8 of us headed our to dinner as it was Nick's 22nd B-day. I think we must have walked for atleast an hour when we reached this crowded piazza. I went up to this lady smoking a cig and drinking a beer:

"Scuzzi--parle inglese?"

"Si"

"Dove restaraunte molto bene?"

I don't know why I asked her if she spoke English and then talked to her in bad Italian, but she pointed us to a restaurant called Porca Vacca--fat cow--up the street. We were the only American people there and the first waiter scoffed at us and pawned us off on another, cooler waiter, Ergante. He was fabulous but no more fabulous than the food. I got a mixed salad--yay vegetables--and caprese salad with fresh mozzarella. MMMMMMMM it was so nice being with everyone, celebrating Nick's bday, and eating some non-touristy food.

I am taking pictures of all my food, so I'm going to have to have a food photo post to make you all jealous.

Life is good. Missing everyone at home!

Bella Roma!!

Sheida

2 comments:

  1. yay for food photos!!! that sounds yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im so jealous!!! but I won't be if you go to iran...

    ReplyDelete